Sunday, June 9, 2013

Rekindling My Love Affair With Jasper

I forgot how much I loved the look, feel and uniqueness of jasper until I went to a gem and bead show a few weeks back. I stood for 45 minutes in front of a display of oodles and oodles of strands of jasper in every color imaginable. I held the beads. I touched the cabs. I stroked the tubes. I sighed. I mentally expensed out the cost of the strands of beads in comparison to my 200+ order status at Fire Mountain Gems. I sighed again. Yes, it was cheaper for me to buy in bulk. But, but, I had my hands on these beads and a stamp on my hand that said I could come back in again tomorrow. Deeper sigh.

After I got home I scoured the pages of the virtual catalog of FMG. I got out my jasper beads and held them. I compared them to what I had seen and tried to justify buying hundreds and hundreds of new beads. I finally talked myself out of the purchase and instead, ran through Artfire putting things in my cart like a crazy woman. I kept them in my cart until they expired. I went back and put them all back in my cart. They expired again. In a fit of silliness, I put them all back in my cart for a third time and hit the buy now button over and over again until I had them all purchased.

Now, I wait and wait and wait for all my beads to start rolling in. I am putting more and more in my cart until my new ones come in.

What is it about jasper that is so mesmerizing and intriguing?

I think it is the amazing patterns, colors and uniqueness of the beads that has me drooling and slobbering like a Mastiff worthy of a Hollywood role. I just find these beads so fascinating that I could look at them for hours trying to find the patterns and designs. Then, of course, one must marry them up with other beads and spacers. They are so much fun that designing is a blast with jasper.

I know that I have written about jasper and that most already know that it is a sedimentary rock that is opaque in nature. It is that sedimentary condition that gives the stones their unique appearance and patterns. The stones reflect the area from which they came. They are a quartz with chalcedony properties, which makes the stones home to tiny mineral growths that give quartz their color and shine.

The word jasper means treasurer. It is an energizing stone that provides protection, nourishment and warmth. It has been used throughout history and found all through ancient jewelry and decoration. It can be used as a vessel as well and makes a great vase. It is a feng shui favorite.

Those who need nourishment or comfort will find a piece of jewelry containing jasper a perfect way to feel protected.

These designers from the JCUIN guild have incorporated jasper into their lovely jewelry.

ShanghaiTai

Red poppy jasper donut necklace freshwater pearl copper handmade

adora_by_simona

Aqua Terra Jasper and Hammered Copper Earrings

bluemorningexpressions

Brown and Teal Heart Charm Bracelet with Jasper and Shells Red Copper

craftsofthepast

Carved Unakite and Faceted Jasper Beads in Opera Length Necklace

CrystalBazaar

Honeyed Amber Watermelon Jasper Gemstone Bead Drop Earrings Handmade

 

dianesdangles

Earthtone Gemstone Stretch Bracelets Jasper Carnelian Tiger Wood

IrishExpressions

Red Sesame Jasper and Mother of Pearl Catholic Rosary

JewelryArtByDawn

Caramel Colored Stone Pendant Copper Wire Wrap Chain and Leather

JewelrybyBeaJae

Beautifully Veined Red Jasper Necklace

lunarskies

Picture Jasper and Sterling Silver Pendant ppje2133

PinkSunsetJewelryDesigns

Copper Necklace with Gemstone Brown Picasso Jasper and Red Garnet

PLETHORAOFJEWELRY

OOAK MIDNIGHT TURQUOISE NECKLACE SET

PrettyGonzo

Peacock Vista and Red Jasper Cluster Earrings, Quartz, Earthy Dangles

ShadowDogDesigns

Paintbrush Jasper Handmade Necklace Yellow Brown Swarovski OOAK Desert

WagonerWireWorks

Ocean Jasper Subtle Steampunk Pendant

zoomgraphik

Picture Jasper Gems with elephant - OOAK Bracelet

 

No one can ever accuse jasper of being boring. Take a look at all the other wonderful creations these artists have in their studio.

Enjoy!

Julie and Blu

24 comments:

  1. Thank you for the post Julie and Blu, it's a lot of information about the jasper, I also like the photos as samples how this beautiful bead looks in different types of creations.

    Regards,

    Andrea Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I can totally picture you sighing over each strand of jasper... because I dream of doing the same! Off to share!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing collection of Jasper gemstone jewelries! I know the feeling and what went through your head when it's about what you really love. You have your Jasper stones and I have my addiction with papers, lol.

    Adorebynat

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post on Jasper. I love the stone :) Awesome items you have shared as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I had more room, I would have a paper addiction too Nat.

    I cannot wait for all my new beads to start rolling in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you also, jasper is a mesmerizing stone and is difficult to pass up during a bead show. There are so many patterns and colors of jasper. Thank you for including my jasper bracelet in this post, off to share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are so many kinds of jasper, it's really hard to choose between them all! Thanks for including my poppy jasper necklace. Will share!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful blog post and what beautiful creations. If I ever saw droolworthy blog, it is this one. By the way, the walls of the New Jerusalem as described in Revelation are made of jasper. 'Its high massive walls are of jasper, the city itself is pure gold...' Just thought I would throw that line of the hymn in for good measure ;)

    Now off to share,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am just loving learning about all these different gemstones you all use in your jewelry. Beautiful designs featured and great background information on Jasper.
    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your description of standing there looking at all the strands of jasper made me want to start drooling. Have been there where you want each and every strand and almost want to cry because that is not possible! LOL! Great post, Julie. THank you for including my necklace. May the jasper gods be kind to you (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jasper is an amazing stone with all it's different colors and patterns. I never tire of looking at it - mesmerizing is the word that comes to mind. Thank you so much for including my necklace with these stunning examples of beautiful jasper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really enjoyed this blog post, Julie and beautiful Blu! I'm a major jasper lover too, and so enjoyed looking at all the handmade beauties you picked. Thanks for including my earrings. Hope your treasures (aka jasper beads) arrive soon. Gonzo wishes Blu the arrival of many tasty treats too. :) Off to tweet ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great article. I'm always amazed at natures artwork in jaspers. Thanks for including my necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post on Jasper! Its on of my favs also, best wishes:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL! Thank you so much for this post. I still have a smile on my face thinking of you standing in front of the display of Jasper drooling. Great job Julie and Blu!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, jasper really is mesmerizing! I didn't realize that there were so many different colorings of this unique gemstone. You have chosen gorgeous pieces to highlight this special gemstone. Thank you for sharing and have fun designing new pieces with jasper!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I, too, didn't know about all the different coloring of jasper. Isn't Mother Nature just wonderful! I love your description of you standing in front of the bead display. I've felt the same way in fabric shops, "I'll just take a yard or two of everything!"

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful blog post and what beautiful creations.
    Thank you for sharing my bracelet :O)
    off to share

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are certainly not an impulse shopper, but a very thoughtful one. Your post was very informative. I love jasper too, since it's so versatile. The items you posted are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful jasper. It's one of my daughter's favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am with you Julie...there is nothing like jasper. Each stone is so unique. This is a great blog and I could just feel your angst when it comes to seeing so much at the gem shows. Been there and done that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful blog post with stunning pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE jasper, too! The last time I went to a gem show I was there about four hours staring at the colorful beads and when I went to bed that night and closed my eyes, I could still see the beads! Enjoyed reading, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Julie, you are right. Jasper is lovely and becoming more popular every day. Thanks for a great read.

    ReplyDelete