Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Armed to the Teeth

By:  Julie L. Cleveland

If you’re being attacked by aliens, you must be able to defend yourself. The same holds true for marshmallow men and other creepy crawlies that want to extract the knowledge of your brain while leaving you a dry, dusty husk of a human being. I am not a syfy fan for the most part, but I do enjoy a good, creepy, alien movie now and then. Maybe, not as extreme as the original Alien. It took a long time to get one of those scenes out of my head. I get ooky, squeamish when things ooze, slime or explode.

While on a recent trip to Seattle, I managed to find my way into the EMP museum that is located at the base of the Space Needle. While I originally went to see the Jimi Hendrix’s exhibit, I did manage to find a lot of other exhibits that were fun and interesting. I think there was only one exhibit in the entire museum that I did not visit; the rest were all examined from top to bottom.

The Icons of Science Fiction exhibit was probably the most interesting to me. Although, I would not have given science fiction a second thought, apparently, most of the movies I like and some of the television shows are classified as Syfy. I guess I do watch the Syfy channel a bit more than I realized. The array of Star Trek memorabilia they had on display was quite entertaining.

However, in all of the goodies that make a great science fiction movie, I never realized how many weapons there were to engage every type of creeping, growling, snarling, beeping robot or borg.

Alien Be Gone!

Dsc_0172

From the top down, we have props from Stargate, Alien, Buck Rogers and Lost in Space. The Buck Rogers gun is the littlest of them all. Second from the top blew away an Alien in Alien.

Dsc_0176

I think we have a Klingon weapon or two in this collection and possibly a Stargate weapon. I thought I had a decent enough photo of the list on the side, but apparently, not. My photos are simple snapshots since it was hard to shoot inside the museum. Between the lights and the glass, most photos ended up cast and filled with reflections. You know those movies where someone brings a fuzzy photo to a supposed computer graphics expert and within a couple clicks of a mouse there is a perfectly crisp, clear photo? Hogwash.

Your Average Bad Guy Removal Systems

Dsc_0174

Wielded by The Men in Black, which I find to be a delightful science fiction series of movies. I don’t what I like about them, but I like humor, so it must be those little guys that can tear up a break room. That, and Edgar amuses me.

 

DSC_0178 DSC_0177

When I took these two photos, I did not bother to write down the source or take a photo of the card. For some reason, I thought that I would be able to remember these. That must mean that they were familiar to me. Well, not today. I don’t remember where these two were used. I thought they were from Matrix or Men in Black, but I don’t think so now. Maybe someone can tell me?

 

I’m Your Father

DSC_0167

Yes, this is the famous lightsaber that Darth Vader was poking Luke Skywalker with when he made his announcement.

Since the museum is so jam packed with exciting adventures, you must see it if you are in Seattle. It is worth the admission price.

Enjoy,

Julie and Blu

blogathonbutton